Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I like being a terrible person.

So, y'know how much I don't like my class, right? And how I think it's a crock of shit?

I thought it'd be fun to go to class all dolled up in a corset, with a blouse with long flowy sleeves underneath, and a long skirt and heels. I wanted to see if I could get any kind of reaction out of my professor.

She just kind of stared at me.

Y'know, that "corsets were invented by men, y'know" sort of look.


And all through class, we talked about the trials and hardships of some Chinese five-year-old, but I got hungry half-way through... so all I could think of, for like the entire second half of the class, was, "damn, I hope we still have rice in the fridge. I bet we do. I know we didn't eat it. Fuck, I'm hungry. I want to go back to the dorm so I can go make rice."

It was pretty bad.


And, if anyone's wondering, I didn't drink as much coffee this time.

So you should be proud of me.


On an entirely related note: I found somemthing in the New York Times, that I want to expound upon. Of course, my entire comments are, "Seriously, you guys, you need to chill, for reals", but that's kinda beside the point.

It's about how some woman decided that Cheerleaders only cheering for boy's teams violated Title IX -- that's the thing that mandates that any schools and colleges that receive funding from the federal government can't discriminate along the lines of gender.

/* Needless to say, you can construe that either way you want depending on your own personal beliefs or agenda. Most people do. */

At any rate, high school varsity cheerleading in the state of New York has gotten all kinds of fucked up. In order to balance out the number of games they'd have to send the cheerleaders to, they decided not to send them to away games. That means you never get to see the other team's cheerleaders -- it's only you. So girls started dropping out, 'cause, hey, that takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Oh, and the girls who are being cheered for? Most of them don't want to be cheered for.

So now, all of the academics and social scientists and professional board members are sitting around, trying to re-evaluate what Cheerleading really is.

All because this woman decided that girls' sports teams were being treated as 'second-rate', while boys' sports teams got all the attention.

/* She should come to my school old high school. The only reason any one actually went to the football games was to see the kick/dance squad. We were terrible. No one cared about the game; it was a given that we were going to lose. But the Romanettes were kinda hot. And they could, y'know, dance. If you actually wanted to see a sport, you went to a field hockey game. (And if you wanted a fight, you went to a boy's soccer game, but that's inconsequential...) */


There was another article that the Times ran a while ago -- called "What's wrong with Cinderella?" -- about the Disney Princess fad. It was a solid six pages; the general gist of the article was that it may (or may not) be bad for young girls (we're really not sure).

It was written by a feminist, who, having a three year old daughter, was very well aware of this fad and all that went with it. That, then, lead into a discussion about children's toys, and about how the dolls and the toy kitchens were a safe distance away from the Star Wars action figures and the Legos. (And here I never thought of Legos as inherently masculine. You learn something new every day.)

There was a whole bunch more to it, but I kinda forgot.

/* It was a good article, and I'd like to it here, but you need a TimesSelect subscription to read it. Sorry. */

No comments: