Wednesday, June 13, 2007

But would they credit my MetroCard?

If there is one piece of advice that my mom has given me, that I will probably never really be able to use, it is this: "Never get into an accident with a bus, or a cop."

I can't drive, so it's a moot point. But it's a point she keeps bringing up nonetheless.

So, I got on the bus today, and the driver was fucking booking it. He must've thought he was on the rush hour part of the schedule (even though it was eleven-thirty in the morning). If you've never been on a rush-hour bus, it's amazing. It's the best time to be on a bus. The bus is packed. And, since the bus is full, no more people can get on. The bus driver isn't going to stop at every stop. He's only going to stop if you press the little yellow "stop requested" strip, and even then, there's no guarantee he'll actually stop at the right stop. Plus, he's a bus, no one wants to get hit by him, so they all get out of his way. So he's free to ride just at the speed limit.

Anyways, my bus driver today was going along, and makes the turn on Old Country Road to head into the bus turnaround at the train station. Yes, we have a road called Old Country Road. Don't ask. Anyways, He going along, and he manages to just stop short before almost rear-ending another bus.

I can only imagine the confusion that would have created.

No comments: