Monday, September 18, 2006

My computer died a slow and painful death.

So, yeah. I run a Mac. I've run Macs for as long as I can remember running computers.

Like, I remember OS 7. My computer at home is an iMac with classic -- y'know, OS 9.2.2, that isn't OS X -- and the one before that never got beyond OS 8.6.

The computer I have now is a cute little laptop. One of those sleek, square, silvery deallies, that came with the install disks for OS X 10.4.

Anyways, for the past week, my computer has been being slow, and retarded, and generally doing all the things that those spiffy Mac ads tell you Macs don't do.

So, I sat down, to try to fix it, and my computer basically sat up on the desk and vomitted on me.


I had to "re-initiallize" it -- a fancy way of saying "totally fucking reformat it" -- but, it didn't bother me too much, 'cause I backed up pretty much everything onto an external hard drive.


So, I start copying over my files.

My shitty-ass homemade movies; my music; my stories...

I walk away from the computer, to find out that the default setting is "if computer is idle for 25 minutes, go to sleep".

That fucked me over a bit, but not too much. I started installing things, since I'm one of those people who keeps the disk images of programs when I can.

I restart -- and, what'd'ya know, it doesn't recognize my three-hundred-gig external hard-drive, where I keep all of my crap.


When I do connect it to my computer, my options are "re-initiallize drive", "ignore", and "eject".

Real fucking helpful.

No comments: