Tuesday, May 22, 2007

It may be itchy and smudgy, but I hear it pays rather well.

As I'm sure you've figured out by now, I'm not actually going to school in Maryland anymore.

I've been home, in New York, since January. I had a part-time job -- which I quit -- and I sat down and did some thinking about what I actually wanted to be when I grow up.


So, on Mother's day, my mom was all, "I have to go into the city for a makeup show." Okay. On Monday, I offered to help her. I took the train in, and I showed up, and they actually let me in.

So I go wandering in, get lost, and then find her booth.


My mom, while we're on the subject, is a Makeup Artist / Costumer / Something else that's also pretty awesome that has to do with Hair and Wigs.

So, she's there, and she's painting shit on people's faces. And it looks badass.

You have to realize, though, that, when I was little, makeup was nothing more than that itchy stuff you put on your face at Halloween.

When I got to the makeup show, I wasn't at all interested in Maybelline's booth. Or Stila. Or MAC.

I was much more interested in Cinema Secrets' booth -- y'know, the bald caps, and the fake scars and shit -- and Mehron had a booth devoted to full body airbrushing.


There was another booth there, and they specialized in silicone prosthetics. Y'know, like noses and ears and jawlines and all. They had a full-size, lifelike replica of George Bush, complete with wrinkles, dimples, and pores.

And I realized that this would be a lot of fun.


So I applied to school (finally).

And they accepted me.

No comments: