Sunday, April 22, 2007

Well, that was, um, short.

I can't stand my job.

I'm a sales associate, at a women's clothing store. Not the best job for an autistic, but it was a job, and no one else was hiring.

Having spent five years in a theatrical costume shop, I know how clothes are supposed to fit. I'm kinda snobby like that. I get hung up about seemingly minor things, like whether or not the crease in the front hangs straight (or breaks, because the pants are too long.)

Anyways. They almost always stick me in the back, in the fitting rooms, 'cause, y'know, that's what I did at the costume shop. Of course, when I say "that's what I did at the costume shop", I mean I was in charge of the entire back section, where the rentals were, and I got to fit people into costumes, and pin things up, and play with it, and futz with it all I wanted.

And when I say I'm in the back in the fitting rooms here at my job now, that means I get to listen to women bitch that they don't like something, or ask that I get them a different size -- because they didn't have the forethought to bring it in with them -- or clean up the fitting room after them because they're too lazy to bring things out of the room when they're done.

Incidentally, I hate people. Well, no, not hate them so much. It's really more of a light loathing.

The point is, though, that I need to find a job where I won't have to deal with the public.


In addition to all that, I'm usually stuck on the closing shift. Now, I will admit that this is my own fault, because I said at the job interview that I wasn't really a morning person, and that I was willing to work afternoons and evenings.

But, as anyone who has ever done retail can tell you, the closing shift doesn't leave until well after the store has closed, because you have to clean up the store, and make it neat and tidy so that the people that walk in the next morning can just waltz in and open the store and not have an issue.

Now, any rational person would assume that, if you're on the closing shift, and you have to stick around to fold shirts, it would be excessive (if nothing else) to stay until one in the morning if the mall closes at 9:30.

The logical answer, then, is that my managers aren't rational people, since yesterday marks the third time I've had to stay extra late.


So, having stayed super-late friday and saturday night, back-to-back, I didn't feel all too well. I'm not going to sit here and give you details, but the point is I didn't go to work today -- for yet another closing shift -- and although the mall closes at 7:30 on Sundays, I just couldn't deal with it.

So my mom called the store early this morning, while I was still asleep. And by "early", I mean "about half past ten". She got the manager, and informed her that I didn't feel well, and that I wouldn't be coming in.

And my manager -- the sweet, loving woman that she is -- replies, "well, she's an adult. She doesn't need mommy calling in for her."

My mom explained that, well, I was asleep, because, as she already pointed out once already, I didn't feel well. By the time I got up, it might be too late for them to scramble around trying to get someone to replace me. It was a courtesy call.

My manager repeated her earlier claim, that I was an adult, and that mommy shouldn't be calling for me, and simply hang up.


Now, I'm going to point out that I've wanted to quit for like forever. But my mom was the one that kept telling me to stick it out, with explanations like "at least it's a paycheck" and "people suck everywhere you go". /* There again, she's the one that wanted me to stick it out in the Public Affairs Scholars' Program. */

No comments: